Thursday, August 30, 2012

Wow, what a day!!  My feet hit the floor a 6:30 am and just now I have a chance for a quick break.  Got one to school, came home dressed and fed another.  Packed her for school and while on the way I was called by the boss at 9 to see where I was at.  Amazing how men have no clue of their kids schedule after 2 years of it, right?  Any who, I got back to the farm by 9:20 and hauled tobacco wagons until lunch.  You talk about the worst job on the farm...........yep that is it.  Ask anyone that grows and they or their kids will stroke when they hear "gotta move wagons"!  But someone had to do it, and I couldn't weld (like the boss was) or I don't cut the tobacco so I was the lucky SOMEONE.  Took my lunch break only to eat a quick bite...........I cleaned the floors the rest of lunch while I was actually in the house.  Fitting in housework any time you can is the only proper way to get anything done.
At 12:45 I saw the guys leaving out for the tobacco field so I knew they would be in need of more wagons, therefore I left again.  The job isn't that hard it is just so repetitious and boring, ha ha.  And at best you can deliver about 6 wagons an hour.  There were like 50 waiting for me in the parking lot. 
All this time bending, picking, lifting, hooking, unhooking, and driving back and forth. 
I know the boys laughed every time I drove away because if it wasn't me moving wagons, it was them.

The boss called again late afternoon and needed my help to move cattle.  It is always an exciting adventure when we catch and move cattle.  This trip ended up with a broken thumb.  Well...........he wouldn't call it that but yes that is how my thumb felt as it was smashed between two cattle panels trying to keep the cows in.

Finally cows to homestead, I was so late getting kids from school and yes..........back to MOVING MORE WAGONS.  I am thankful tonight for parents that helped watch my girls so they didn't have to endure the dust and heat in the field. And the best treat of all a nice home cooked meal awaited me as I left the field to pick up girls at my parents.  A night to not cook is worth a million bucks to a busy mom.  Another round back to the field for another wagon just before baths and bed.  Lord I am so thankful for great workers who I know I can trust to finish without me.  Like I said it was a long hot day, a pretty normal day, I guess just another day in my life..............as the farmers wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment