Sunday, February 9, 2014

Going to be a voice....

Had the most wonderful opportunity to hear from the Deputy Secretary of Agriculture (USDA) Krysta Harden at the American Farm Bureau Federation conference. As a woman it is so exhilarating to see her stand proud from the farm to the city.....sharing her story and love for the land!

I myself am living this dream backwards....coming from the city to the farm.  Deputy Harden states, "Its not our livelihood but our way of life!" If we don't share our story no one else will.
Some do not understand my story that why it's important to share it.....especially as I am still writing my personal book. 

The daughter of two school teachers....my morals and tradition runs deep!  Just like the farm tradition does for most. I grew up under street lights and by the sound of vehicle traffic. So many say "when I grew up a farm...." Something that I can never say......but live for the day when my two girls will share that phrase. I can't wait to hear "my parents started their own farm and I grew up in agriculture and understand the viability of hard work, taking care of your resources and learning what feeds the world really means."Each day I learn more my feet may move me but my voice is what will grow me. 

"If your not at the table, then you will be on the plate!" A phrase I heard in a leadership class a couple of years ago is so very true today. If we don't sit at the issues then we will not be able to stand for the solution.  I want to be the voice for us farmers because we all can't.....especially if we are tending to the fields. I use my voice....louder and prouder........as Neale Donald Walsh said....Life begins at the end if your comfort zone.

Another job on my list of already too many things to do right????  For it's all another day in the life of the farmers wife.....
Me and Deputy Secretary

No comments:

Post a Comment